Picture
Such is the bane of a professional writer—we can’t read anything without grammatical errors and typos jumping off the page—or off the road sign.

One day recently, as I was on the highway driving into town, I cringed at a sign meant to be helpful, but could have sent me off the embankment. The sign read, “When visibility is low, drive slow."

Someone obviously thought the rhyming was clever. Perhaps. But what struck me was the poor grammar. "Slow" here modifies a verb and is thus an adverb, and should be written as “slowly.”

In our daily speech, “slow” is often used when “slowly” is correct. Sometimes, the speaker doesn’t know he or she has got it wrong. Other times its use is deliberate. This is only one example of the many grammatical errors we
routinely make when we converse.

Consider “who” vs. “whom.” In conversation, we often use “who” when “whom” would be correct. Some people don’t know they’re making a mistake. And others don’t care. After all, using “whom” when no one else does can come across as pretentious.

The bigger issue here is this: should we write as we should or how people
speak?

The easy answer is that we should be more formal in our writing than in our speech. Although in advertising and marketing writing, we take liberties…And in our emails and Web content, we take liberties…In fiction, more liberties
still…

You see the problem. But as soon as you cast grammatical rules to the wind, someone will hurl them back in your face.

There once was a time that I believed we should write as we speak. So I used “who” in a printed piece, all the while knowing that “whom” was the better choice. Much to my surprise, out of the vast sea of anonymous readers came a phone call, “You had an error in your piece…”

This is starting to sound like damned-if you-do, damned-if-you-don’t. Well, not
really. No one can fault you for perfect grammar.

But, if you do choose to depart from the rules, proceed with caution. It helps if you can defend yourself should you need to.

The fellow who called me on the incorrect use of “who”? I thanked him and expressed admiration for someone who knew the difference.

Comments

04/01/2014 7:48am

Very Valuable data, this can be the two excellent perusing intended for, have got a lot a few wonderful important works on along with My spouse and i eat a number of fresh material from that too.

I am in the marketing field and every time I see a tagline that only rhymes but does not have proper grammar makes me cringe. I hate it when people think that it is okay and catchy to use rhyming words in a tagline which makes me think that they should take grammar lessons. I have encountered a worse situation, it is a credible website where people can get a lot of information and it has grammar errors. Writing formally is better rather than write the way people speak. When someone corrects you in your grammar take time to check if you are really correct instead of fighting that you are right.

04/06/2014 3:56am

Great info. Lucky me I ran across your website by accident (stumbleupon). I've book marked it for later!

04/08/2014 7:23am

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much approximately this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few p.cpercent to force the message home a bit, but other than that, that is magnificent blog. A great read. I will certainly be back

06/07/2014 4:13am

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS. I don't understand why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having identical RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

06/21/2014 4:01am

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for great info I was looking for this information for my mission

08/26/2014 9:35pm

10/19/2014 9:20am

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any tips and hints for beginner blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it

01/04/2017 6:49am

Windows 10 is a personal computer operating system developed and released by Microsoft as part of the Windows NT family of operating systems.

It become an attractive part of a blog when author uses indirect speech while writing a blog. It shows your creative mind as well as make your written essay different from others.

03/24/2017 6:46pm

I am happy to read this post and writer is not only give story. It also gives the lesson of life and driving is common for everyone. It is risky for our life but it also need. So we should be care o this time.

06/30/2017 6:21am

You can find the PNR number on the top left corner of your ticket that has been booked from the ticket window

11/26/2017 10:38am